A.A.S. Degrees in Digital Music (DM)
The Associate in Applied Science degree in Digital Music is provides Eugenio María de Hostos Community College’s student population with a course of study that will prepare them for music careers in business and industry in titles such as: sound engineering technician; audio equipment technician; recording engineer; sound mixer or re-recording mixer; and sound designer. The program provides Hostos graduates with additional career opportunities in a wide variety of businesses involved in: radio broadcasting; concert production; theatre production; musical recording; sound track and sound effect production for television, film, and video as well as sports events, conventions, presentations, and news conferences. In addition, sound technicians are employed in other industries, producing employee communications, sales, and training programs.
Proposed Hostos DM Program Outcomes for Students:
- Gain a greater awareness and understanding of sound and tonality.
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of audio engineering or music production.
- Gain an understanding of digital as well as analog recording technics including microphone placement, acoustic design, multi-track production, and sound treatment.
- Solve creative problems within their field of audio engineering or music production, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Gain experience in collaborative work methodologies in preparation for careers in the media arts.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on awareness of tonality, composition, fidelity and aesthetic principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology and the vocabulary of audio engineering or music production.
- Recognize the influence of media culture and aesthetic trends in audio production
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace as composers, audio engineers, and recording producers.