A.S. Degrees in Digital Design & Animation (DD&A)
The Associate in Applied Science degree in Digital Design and Animation will provide students with a strong foundation for future occupations in motion graphics, animation, graphic design and/or web design through a series of intensive lecture and studio-based classes. The curriculum emphasizes the use of industry standard digital technology and media to help students develop the artistic and technical skills necessary to plan, analyze, and create visual solutions to communications problems. Students will take a core of courses that include digital media history and practice, drawing, color theory, 2Ddesign and an overview of indispensable design software applications for creating in multiple forms of media. Evaluative portfolio review will be conducted by faculty at the end of each term to determine whether each student qualifies for advancement through the program. This will help students to develop important tools in presentation and self-promotion to compliment their burgeoning training in communications, and prepare them for careers in business and industry.
Media Design Course Offerings by Semester
DD&A Suggested Program Progression
See DD&A Course Descriptions Here
Proposed Hostos DD&A Program Outcomes for Students:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of media and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of media and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Gain experience in collaborative work methodologies in preparation for careers in media and design.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on media awareness and user-centered design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology and the vocabulary of design.
- Recognize the influence of media culture and aesthetic trends in art and design.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for media and design.
Digital Design & Animation Program Tracks (PDF)