In the Methods for Online Teaching (MOT) course, you’ll explore best practices and strategies for online teaching, including resources and activities tailored to online learning at Hostos Community College. This will be conducted with emphasis on the Community of Inquiry (CoI) framework to:
- Promote important course design strategies
- Revisit the roles of instructor, learner, and the learning community.
This course will offer opportunities to share faculty experiences for the benefit of everyone involved in the course. Each unit includes activities that are useful for tweaking ongoing courses as well as designing ones still in the planning and implementation stages.
As a prerequisite to this course, all participants should have been previously certified through the Online Learning Initiative. A lot of what this course entails builds on concepts and tools learned to design online courses.
After completing this course, you will:
- Become familiar with concepts from the CoI framework to improve online course design and delivery
- Be able to apply essential aspects of course design in a more strategic fashion to support cognitive presence
- Be able to redefine instructional strategies to improve teaching presence
- Be able to develop strategies to improve interactivity and the overall sense of community to support social presence
- Be able to refine delivery to foster learner presence from your students
This course includes
- Five units:
- An introduction to the Community of Inquiry (CoI) framework
- Course Design & Delivery to support Cognitive Presence
- Instructional Strategies to support Teaching Presence
- Strategies to support Social Presence
- Strategies to foster Learner Presence from your students
- Pre-and post-surveys
Each unit includes:
- Learning objectives
- Supplementary video resources
- Live participatory discussion on zoom:
- A Practical Exercise
- A Self-Assessment Survey
To complete this course, please participate in: The Pre-survey, Discussion Board Prompts, Practical Exercises, Self-Assessment Surveys and finally the Post-survey.