In this Issue

CTL Mission
The Center for Teaching and Learning promotes excellence in teaching and learning at all levels. The Center seeks to enhance Hostos’ multicultural and multi-lingual learning environments with innovative teaching pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies. The Center supports faculty, staff, and student achievements inside and outside of the classroom and encourages the growth of interdisciplinary and cross-Read More

Teaching Tidbits

Professor Preciado has been working over the last three decades in the Education Department, and he was one of the first faculty to use Blackboard in the Classroom. In this interview, he explains how he uses Blackboard to make an online course more engaging.  Read More

Hostos Reads

The 2019-2020 Hostos Reads! selection is Angie Thomas’ thought-provoking novel, The Hate U Give. The novel’s themes of inequality, social justice, and self-identity are sure to start discussions in the classroom and the Hostos community. Pick up a copy or arrange for your class to read the book at the Center for Teaching and Learning (B-418)….. Read More

General Education

Why do I teach? I frequently engage that question. I think, why am I in the classroom? And I’m not referring to the day to day or the charge as an English professor at Hostos Community College to help students write and organize essays, and guide them through learning research skills. Those and other student learning outcomes (SLOs) are clearly stated on my syllabus, and I intimately understand the responsibility … Read More

Experiential Reflection

Family members and/or friends of cancer patients, do everything in their power to help their loved ones who have cancer to become cancer free. I personally lost my nephew, Zion to cancer at the age of only four years. As a matter of fact, Zion’s father my brother-Dr. Kosj Yamoah, has both his MD and PhD degrees in oncology-the study of cancer; and rightly so, he did everything in his power to try to save his son Zion from a rare and fast growing cancer known as Atypical Teratoid Thabdoid Tumor (ATRT). ATRT most often affects children age 3 or younger. After Zion passed on, the organization, Out-Of-Zion Incorp… Read More

Math Day

After my Math Murder Mystery presentation at the 3rd Annual Mathematics Day, students and faculty made some comments to me. The students said that they never saw any math problems presented this way and that they had actually enjoyed doing Math and English in solving the Math Murder Mysteries. The faculty said it was an excellent idea connecting Math and English in a mystery setting. At the presentation, I presented four of my Math Murder Mysteries. I have included the Math Murder Mystery… Read More

In this Issue

CTL Mission

Teaching Tips

One afternoon in the fall of 2018, two faculty members sat down to discuss the cornerstone research assignment for the Foundations of Education course, EDU 101, and the ways students have been navigating that assignment. One was the instructor for multiple sections of the course (Sarah), and the other the library liaison for Early Childhood Education (Linda). That afternoon, what began as a routine check in became revelatory for both of us… Read More

The Sabbatical Experience

Hurricane Maria, the most devastating hurricane in 85 years, struck Puerto Rico on September 20, 2017. Hurricane Maria was categorized as the worst natural disaster on record in Puerto Rico as it caused a catastrophe that triggered a major humanitarian crisis in the island. The death toll in Puerto Rico is believed to be far higher than the official toll of 58. The estimated loss ranges from 1,000 to more than 4,000 lives…. Read More

Fellowship

An essential limitation that writers of digital messages face is that non-verbal cues such as tone of voice, facial expressions, and gestures are not available in digital discourse. People engaged in face-to-face communication draw heavily upon these cues to interpret how what is being said should be interpreted. To compensate for this shortcoming, computer users first began adapting features of the keyboard to convey how their messages should be read. This was when emoticons (emotion icons) came into being as early as the 1980s… Read More

General Education

General Education is an essential foundation of education as a learning process that continues throughout a person’s life. It is an environment and an approach. It encompasses all fields and disciplines. It is the way that math, language, history, science, poetry, and art, to name some examples, affect us everyday, in all parts of our life, from seeing a leaf turn from green to brown (and understanding why it does), to watching day fade into night, to thinking about the vast distance between our sun and a pinpoint twinkle of a star… Read More

Research

This research examines North Korea’s secondary mathematics education alongside social and political prospective. North Korean secondary mathematics textbooks and curricula have been examined and analyzed. Facts and conclusions have been disclosed. However, large fractions of the North Korean mathematics educational system, including its teachers, students, and dynamics of the actual classrooms, still remain unknown, as North Korea maintains its isolation… Read More

Research and SoTL

Back in February, I published an article in Inside Higher Ed called “Advice for the Community College Scholar, ” in which I provided five concrete steps that community-college faculty might take to advance their research agendas while working with a heavy teaching load. Here, I hope to offer some suggestions more specific to junior faculty members at Hostos, all of whom are required to conduct research as part of their advancement toward tenure and eventually promotion to both associate and full professor… Read More

Teaching Tips II

You have your group assignment or assignments set up for the semester. You are all excited about using groups in your class. You know your students will resist because we all know that students hate to work in groups. How many times have you heard that statement? However, you are convinced that your assignments will garner the full support of the students. Okay. So, let’s see some ways that you can prepare the students for group work and make your group assignments successful… Read More

Faculty Investigation Group

Greetings from the Service Learning and Civic Engagement Committee!

In this Issue

CTL Mission

Teaching Tips

Neurodiversity is an approach to learning and disability that posits diverse neurological conditions are the results of normal variations in the human genome, and not inherently pathological  Read More

The Sabbatical Experience

Professor and Celebrated Artist Ian Charles Scott

International Fellowship

Fullbright

General Education

Newsletter

In this Issue

CTL Mission

An Introduction to Theories of Learning
Diana Macri, Assistant Professor, Allied Health Sciences

Over the past half century, American higher education has expanded from an elite audience to the mass market. Audience demographics have changed dramatically, and institutions of higher education are recognizing a need for faculty who are not only successful researchers but are also effective educators. Most faculty in institutions of higher education obtain their positions having proven expertise in their respective disciplines. However, they are poorly prepared as educators and benefit greatly from institutional support… Read More

Building Experiential Communities: A Holistic Approach in Education
Amanda Bernal-Carlo, Professor, Natural Sciences

This article is about my own personal experience as an educator. When I finished high school, I was hired as a fifth grade teacher in an elementary school located in one of the most neglected neighborhoods in the capital city of Colombia. On the first day of classes I met 35 students, between 10-16 years of age who came to the school hungry and without even a pen or pencil, unprotected from the cold weather of Bogotá and with little or no enthusiasm to learn. The first priority for these kids was to survive the day…. Read More

A Fulbright Scholar in Slovakia: A Transformative Experience
Yoel Rodríguez, Professor, Natural Sciences

I embarked on my sabbatical leave during the fall of 2016 after earning my tenure in 2014. I had the privilege to receive a 2016 – 2017 U.S. Fulbright Scholar Award to the Slovak Republic. My sabbatical leave together with my Fulbright award provided me firstly with the opportunity to enhance my research spectrum by working with Dr. Magdaléna Májeková at the Institute of Experimental Pharmacology and Toxicology (IEPT) of the Slovak Academy of Sciences (SAS) in Bratislava, the Slovak Republic. Dr. Májeková is an expert in biophysics and medicinal chemistry… Read More

Diversity Survey
Nelson Nuñez-Rodríguez, Physical Sciences Coordinator, Natural Sciences

The Center for Teaching and Learning collaborated with the Diversity Fellow Prof. Nelson Nuñez-Rodríguez to develop a faculty survey based on cultural competencies and organize a panel focused on diversity matters during the CTL annal professional development day aka Spa Day. The Office of Academic Affairs Associate Dean Ann Mester; Prof. Hector Soto, Chair, College-wide Senate Affirmative Action Committee; Lauren Gretina, Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator; and Prof. Nelson Nuñez-Rodríguez facilitated this panel.… Read More

CTL Poster

In this Issue

CTL Mission

Changing the mindset for enhanced pedagogy

Linda Ridley Lecturer Business Academic Department

Linda RidleyAs a global consultant focusing on change management within organizations, over the past decade I have adapted my thirst for problem solving to the field of education. This provided an exciting trajectory as I transitioned my significant expertise in organizational development into the field of education. In 2015, I won a competition to become a First Time Case Writer with The Case Centre, based at Cranfield University in the United Kingdom. Chosen as only one of 18 professors worldwide (just three in the United States), this was an affirmation of my efforts to integrate business practices…Read More

Hostos Reads – Americanah
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

americanahFor many years, Professor Robert Cohen of the Department of Language and Cognition coordinated the popular and successful book of the semester program. Under his leadership, the Hostos community read and discussed books together in a range of genres and on subjects as diverse as mental illness, scientific inventions and family relationships. Last year, the Center for Teaching and Learning re-launched the book of the semester as a yearlong common read, Hostos Reads: Books in Common, Books in Community with Just Mercy a non-fiction work about theinjustices of the criminal justice system by author and founder of the Equal Justice Initiative, Bryan Stevenson…. Read More

Looking for General Education in a New Global Space of Education
Karin Lundberg Associate Professor Language and Cognition Department

karin L.When I first sat down to write this piece, Talking Heads’ question involuntarily surfaced: “How did I get here?” And I felt the urge to pursue the line further. What is the “Once in a Lifetime”-song really about? I went on a search and found more than I had expected: “We’re largely unconscious. You know, we operate half-awake, or on autopilot and end up, whatever, with a house and family and job and everything else. We haven’t really stopped to ask ourselves, “How did I get here?” (David Byrne, NPR March 27, 2000.) Reflecting on my journey as an educator in a rich, global context where language and communication are at the center of my daily pedagogical “chores”, I walk back and trace the knots that have come to form the intricate web… Read More

Seen The Unseen
Mohammad Sohel Associate Professor Natural Sciences Dept.

SohelI have joined in the Natural Sciences Department in 2007 as an Assistant Professor. Like many of us at Hostos Community College, in addition to our significant teaching loads, service and student mentorship, we are expected to carry on our research and contribute significantly to our professional field through research and publication. My educational background and professional training is in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology which is the study, manipulation and application of extremely small things of matter on an atomic, molecular level that are less than 100 nanometer in size. Do you know- 25,400,000 nanometers in one inch. A human hair… Read More

Variations in an Emergency
Anne Lovering Rounds Assistant Professor English Department

LoveringHostos English Department faculty member Anne Lovering Rounds had her first book, Variations in an Emergency, published at the end of 2016. Praised by literary critics and musicians alike, the work is a collection of poems about the way longing and loss recur. The book’s 32 poems resonate with literary and musical references, and the book is inspired by the structure of Baroque composer J. S. Bach’s Goldberg Variations for keyboard, in which an aria is the theme for 30 subsequent variations and then returns to end the set. Thus the book opens with a poem called “Aria,” which contains the subjects of the other poems in the collection. When the theme returns at the end of the Goldberg Variations, the experience is one of closure and instability: something… Read More

PDF Spring 2018

CTL Mission: 

Brain and Language: Bilingualism: The Neural Basis of Processing More than One Language
Merce Pujol Language and Cognition Department

Dietary Guidelines for Latino in the U.S.
Iris Mercado Associate Professor Education Department
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines provides guidance and recommendations to help Americans make healthy choices in the areas of nutrition focused on preventing diet-related chronic diseases. However… Read More

A Change of Scence
David K. Weiser Associate Professor English Department
I am grateful to Professor Greg Marks, Chair of the English Department, for pointing out that I was eligible for a fellowship leave / sabbatical. The idea that I could apply successfully for such an honor had never occurred me. To my surprise though, after more than… Read More

A Spotlight on our Daily Classroom Dynamics: It is time to Help Each Other Infusing Diversity, Plurality and Inclusion in our Classrooms
Nelson Nuñez-Rodríguez  Professor Natural Sciences Department

Check out our Spring 2017 Newsletter!

In this Issue

CTL Mission
Slogan: “Creating better teachers to better serve our students.”

Mission:
In keeping with Hostos tradition, the Center for Teaching and Learning promotes excellence in teaching and learning with innovative pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies by fostering interdisciplinary and cross-divisional collaborations.
Read More

“Agnes Beaumont: A Seventeenth-Century Story of Self, Suffering, and Spirituality”
Andrea Fabrizio Deputy Chair of the English Department

Andrea FabrizioAgnes Beaumont was a woman who lived in seventeenth-century England and who is worthy of an introduction to the modern reader. She is not nearly as well-known as Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters, but in the fall of 2015, while on sabbatical, I began to contribute to the case that she is significant in her own right through my scholarship.Beaumont wrote one major text in her life. It was aptly titled, The Narrative of the Persecutions…Read More

Plickers Assessment Tool: For Any Educational Environment
Michael Gosset Physical Education Unit Coordinator

Gosset_PicDo you wish you had another means to receive formative feedback from students, increase student participation, and/or track student progress in your classes? You may be familiar with the Clickers response system, the electronic device you put in your hand, but you may not be familiar with Plickers. Plickers response system is similar to the Clickers response system in that a multiple choice (MC) or True/False (TF) question is asked, and the responders select +-an answer, while remaining anonymous to the class. The initiator, or instructor, however, does see individual… Read More

Reflections upon teaching our students (and some tips!)
Kate Wolfe Assistant Professor Behavioral & Social Sciences Dept.

I have been fortunate enough to teach community-college students for the past seventeen years. As I complete my fifth year as an Assistant Professor at Hostos Community College, I would like to share my ideas about teaching and being the best faculty member I can be for our students. I have always been passionate about educating students, not just about psychology, but about being a successful college student and using knowledge gained to navigate life. Every semester I ask myself how I can improve. Here are some of my thoughts on being an effective teacher. Read More

PDF Spring 2017

F16 Newsletter Header

In This Issue

• Meet our New Co-Director
  • Faculty Spotlight
  • Faculty Teaching in Correctional Environments
  • Brain and Language
  • The Influence of Culture on End-of-Life Decisions
  • Cue Conference
  • Professional Development Day
  • Event Calendar
  • Conferences

CTL Mission

Meet Our New Co-Director! Prof. Cynthia Jones

Prof. JonesMany summers ago, I sat next to Magda Vasillov in an NEH Institute designed by the American Social History Project (ASHP); it was a month-long journey of navigating the Web and incorporating the tools of technology in the curriculum. Magda patiently mentored me as we considered the integration of technology in my developmental reading and writing courses and her Arts and Civilization course. Read More

Faculty Spotlight

Congrats to Dr. Yoel Rodriguez on the Fulbright Award!

Prof. RodriguezHostos Community College Professor Yoel Rodríguez has been granted a prestigious 2016-17 U.S. Fulbright Scholar Award to the Slovak Republic. The Fulbright award along with his sabbatical leave will provide Professor Rodriguez with the opportunity to work at the Institute of Experimental Pharmacology and Toxicology of the Slovak Academy of Sciences in Bratislava, Slovak Republic. Professor Rodriguez will be collaborating with Dr. Magdalena Majekova, who is an expert in Biophysics and Medicinal Chemistry. Through this partnership, and by bringing his expertise in Computational Molecular Biology, Professor Rodríguez believes that they will be able to make important contributions regarding worldwide human health issues related to cardiovascular and heart disease. He feels truly humbled, honored and excited by this opportunity.

Read More

Faculty Teaching in Correctional Environments

Prof. VasquezELYS VASQUEZ-ISCAN
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
EDUCATION DEPT.

The late Maxine Greene once said, “in many respects, teaching and learning are matters of breaking through barriers.” These barriers come in myriad forms for those who were born into poverty and dysfunctional families. Consequently, many of these individuals lose their compass and end up in prison. By offering the incarcerated a post-secondary education many of these pre-existing barriers are removed upon re-entry to society. A significant amount of empirical evidence documents that inmates who pursue associate and bachelor’s degrees while incarcerated tend to become law-abiding citizens significantly more after their release from prison than inmates who did not advance their education while incarcerated. Furthermore, cost-effective analyses have shown that it is less expensive to educate inmates than to reincarcerate them. It is therefore important that the college education of inmates be central to the topic of lowering recidivism.

Read More

Brain and Language: The Neural Basis of Monolinguals’ Discourse Comprehension

Prof. PujolMERCE PUJOL
PROFESSOR
LANGUAGE & COGNITION DEPT.

Fifty years ago, brain research on language was confined to investigating individuals with brain damage. Today, thanks to technological advances, neuroscientists are using non-invasive methods to examine healthy brain activity of individuals processing language. The plasticity of the human brain, and its potential for learning, is an important discovery of the twentieth century.
Language consists of major subsystems that include sounds, word forms, meanings, structures, and uses in different contexts. Language skills such as listening and reading enable us to comprehend oral and written discourse, whereas speaking and writing enable us to produce oral and written discourse. Linguistic subsystems and language skills do not function in isolation or in a linear and static manner in the brain, but they work in parallel, highly dynamic, interactive, and changeable ways (Friederici, 2012; Kroll & De Groot, 2005; Ullman, 2005).

Read More

Planning for End-of-Life Is Not a Death Sentence: The Influence of Culture on End-of-Life Decisions

Prof. FlemisterEunice Flemister
Aging and Health Studies
Program Coordinator
Education Dept

My Fellowship Leave in the Fall of 2015 was in search of answers to the following questions: “How do we introduce the End-of-Life Conversation to Minority Communities?” and “How do we Negotiate Cross-Cultural Issues at the End-of-Life?”

After attending a New York State Conference on Aging workshop on End-of-Life Planning, I observed that there was little or no emphasis on how culture impacts, End-of-Life decisions. This particular workshop was filled to capacity. Experts from the field shared their knowledge. Social workers spoke about the challenges of talking to family members who had no idea that their loved ones were terminal. Physicians defended themselves saying, patients were told but were in denial. Nurses said, they were not the ones responsible to break the devastating news to the patients or their families. Debates ensued; the legal ramifications of the process was challenged; startling data was shared; research studies were quoted; and yet somehow in the maze of information there was a void when it came to the inclusion of cultural sensitivity, cultural awareness, even cultural humility in this dialogue. Read More

CUE Conference Success!

CTL played a fundamental role in hosting The 12th Annual Coordinated Undergraduate Education (CUE) Conference, “Walk the Talk: Inspiring Action on the Concourse and Beyond,” which was held at Hostos Community College on May 13, 2016. More than 300 participants attended this event. The conference included an opening session, keynote speaker Dr. Jose Antonio Bowen, Fireside Chats, and over 60 presentations. The Fireside Chats provided some insight into the character and resilience of our CUNY community. The positive reviews and comments by attendees reflected the amount of hard work and unity the staff and volunteers had and put into the success of this event!

CUE Conference CUE Conference

Professional Development Day 2016

On May 31, 2016, CTL successfully hosted the sixth annual Professional Development Day (aka CTL SPA DAY). This event was held at the Edith Macy Conference Center in Briarcliff Manor, New York. This year was the first time that the event was held off campus. SPA DAY with over 60 participants, was a great opportunity to share and learn with each other in an inviting and collegial setting. Additionally, the day included fun activities and lots of networking.

This year’s theme, “A Place for Everybody,” focused on encouraging diverse conversations to facilitate a welcoming, nurturing, and inclusive environment for our students and colleagues. Four think-tank discussions offered participants an opportunity to learn about and discuss student research with faculty, Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL), online learning, and service learning. Prof. Andrew London started the afternoon with a fun game to break the ice. To finish the day, keynote speaker Prof. Cynthia Jones did a great job of connecting and putting into perspective all of the conversations that happened throughout the day to envision a place for everybody.

The think-tank topics were “Initiatives to Promote Student Success: Capstone Seminar and Student Research with Faculty” , “The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Group: Evoking, Provoking and Invoking”, “Growing Our Innovative Community at Hostos”, and “Class Without Walls”.

SPECIAL THANKS

Yeily Peña Vicente
Anna Austenfeld
Itzel Ortega Mendez
Jacqueline DiSanto
Emmanuel Rosario
Lemar Francis
Duplicating Center: Mercedes Valdez, Dian Beckett and David Floyd

S16 Newsletter header_version 2

In This Issue
  • Approach to Training: How Are You?
  • Learning from Our Elders: Students, Senior Citizens, and Service-Learning
  • The Box of Surprises: A Simple Tool for Formative Assessment
  • An Inquiry Through Race and American Literature
  • Teaching with Technology

CTL Mission

The Center for Teaching and Learning promotes excellence in teaching and learning at all levels. The Center seeks to enhance Hostos’ multicultural and multi-lingual learning environments with innovative teaching pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies. The Center supports faculty, staff, and student achievements inside and outside of the classroom and encourages the growth of interdisciplinary and cross-divisional collaborations and partnerships.

Prof. Sherese MitchellApproach to Training: How Are You?

SHERESE MITCHELL
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
EDUCATION DEPT

I can recall teaching at an elementary school several years ago. The principal was deliberate in scanning children up and down with her eyes and asking, “How are you?” I thought that was very considerate that an administrator would take the time to wonder how the students were doing daily. As the school days went on, I found myself feeling a little down one morning. After preparing my classroom for the day’s activities, I decided to take a walk down the hallway. Walking aimlessly up and down the hallway usually returned me into happy-teacher mode. It was in the hallway that I met my supervisor—the principal of the school—the same inquisitive principal. She stopped me and asked, “How are you today?” (as she scanned me up and down). Remembering how sincere I found her to be with the children, I responded honestly. “I am not doing too well today”, I sighed. She responded, “that’s great” and continued walking down the hallway. I recall this event to this day. I felt very uncomfortable in the false-sense of concern she expressed. From that day moving forward, I made a point to “scan” my students to check in with them.

Read More

Learning from Our Elders: Students, Senior Citizens, and Service-Learning

Prof. Sarah HoilandSARAH HOILAND
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
BEHAVIORAL & SOCIAL SCIENCES DEPT.

John Dewey and Paulo Freire wrote eloquently, nearly one hundred years apart, about experiential learning by describing the lifelong process of education (Dewey 1897) and the reflection and action that is inherent in dialogue (Faundez & Freire 1992). For Dewey and Freire, experiential learning is liberating and contributes to the health of democracy.

S16 Newsletter_Hoiland article photo

In SOC 101, the goal is to help students better understand the world around them and to provide them with a language to describe their everyday worlds.

Read More

The Box of Surprises: A Simple Tool for Formative Assessment

Nunez RodriguezNELSON NUNEZ-RODRIGUEZ
ASSOCIATE
PROFESSOR
NATURAL SCIENCES DEPT

I usually start my class sessions by asking students to pick up a paper with a question from a simple box or basket. Students do not know if the question is the same one for the whole class or not. Students do not know if the question is from a content previously discussed or a content to be discussed in this session. Students do not know if the question will be returned to the instructor after 3-5 minutes and contribute with a point for the next exam (if the answer is correct) or the question(s) will not be returned and will just be used to start discussing session topics. Instructor announces question’s fate after the 3-5 minute period to answer it. Only students who arrive on time can return the question to the professor if this applies. Latecomers can pick up a question but cannot return it to the professor if the question falls into the returning category.

Read More

PEDAGOGICAL TIPS

An Inquiry Through Race and American Literature

CYNTHIA JONES
LECTURER
ENGLISH  DEPT.

In the past Cynthia Jones was engaged in collaborating and crafting professional development workshops at the American Social History Project-Center for Media and Learning (CUNY). The following activity was designed to begin an exploration of race through literary texts.

CONTEXT
Diverse literary texts provide opportunities for making connections xn race and hearing multiple voices and perspectives.

OBJECTIVES/ASSESSMENT
Students will:
• Read and interpret texts in a variety of genres (poetry, novel, essay, interview, speech) by drawing on their experience and their interactions with other readers.
• Develop an understanding of and respect for diversity in language use, patterns, and dialects across cultures, ethnic groups, geographic regions, and social roles.
• Examine the contributions of writers. Read More

Prof. LyonsTeaching with Technology: Results from the December 2015 Faculty Survey

KATE LYONS
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
LIBRARY

In December 2015 the Office of Educational Technology with the EdTech Leadership Council emailed all faculty a link to a survey about their experiences teaching with technology. 114 faculty members responded to the survey.

73% identified themselves as full time faculty and twenty-seven percent identified as adjunct faculty. The majority (over 80%) had been teaching at Hostos for 6 or more semesters and the majority were in professorial titles (17% Professor, 17% Associate Professor and 36% Assistant Professor).

More than 75% of the respondents had experience adding a Blackboard component to their courses. This approximately aligns with the EdTech Office’s experience that approximately 60% of faculty activate the Blackboard sites associated with their courses, each semester.

Read More

SPECIAL THANKS

Professor Jacqueline DiSanto and the Hostos Writing Group
College Copy Center:
David Floyd
Diann Beckett
Mercedes Valdez
Newsletter Designers:Enmanuel Rosario
Lemar Francis
Dominique Coston
Itzel Ortega

CTL Newsletter F15

In This Issue

• Welcome from the Provost
  • Pedagogical Points
  • Engaging Students Within the First Five Minutes of Class
  • Celebrations and Accomplishments

CTL Mission

The Center promotes excellence in teaching and learning at all levels.  The Center seeks to enhance Hostos’ multicultural and multi-lingual learning environments with innovative teaching pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies. The Center supports faculty, staff, and student achievements inside and outside of the classroom and encourages the growth of interdisciplinary and cross-divisional collaborations and partnerships.

Welcome from Provost Christine Mangino

Provost ManginoWelcome to the inaugural Center for Teaching and Learning Newsletter. Over the last 12 years, the Center has provided hundreds of hours of professional development activities, facilitated conversations, convened subcommittees for innovation, and linked faculty to numerous conferences and external opportunities. Last year, the majority of full-time faculty attended at least one activity, and we are slowly increasing the participation of our adjunct faculty in CTL events. Teaching and learning are dear to my heart and when I first came to the Office of Academic Affairs, I was excited to oversee the Center. The implementation of SPA DAY, the Hostos Teaching Institute, the OAA Teaching Fellowship, and the year of quantitative reasoning are just a few of the ways we have focused on teaching and learning. Read More

Pedagogical Points

Prof. VasquezELYS VASQUEZ-ISCAN
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
EDUCATION DEPT.

As educators we all have the generous task of shaping diverse approaches to new and longstanding challenges in education. One of these challenges is preparing our students for a society that is ever changing. We are required to uphold the ethos of improving society through the advancement of knowledge yet with limited funding.

The question then arises of how do we as educators continue to stay in love with our careers? One answer is to look beyond our respective disciplines for innovations.

This summer, as part of a pedagogical seminar, I traveled with fellow Hostos faculty to Cuba. This trip proved to be a transformative educational experience that will have permanence in my life. From what I learned I came to the realization that the United States’ educational system can take some learning points from Cuba.

Read More

Engaging Students Within the First Five Minutes of Class

Prof. DiSantoJACQUELINE DISANTO
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
EDUCATION DEPT.

Everyone processes differently. There are two ways of taking new and/or difficult information in–analytically or globally. Learners either require a sequential introduction to the content escalates in difficulty, or they need to know why this material is relevant either to the course or to life in general before they can begin.

By providing two different introductions, neither of which takes more than five minutes, you are setting the stage for more effective—and more enjoyable—instruction to take place. One way to do this is to have a short reading that defines the day’s topic, provides a short class agenda, and explains its importance. Students can read it while attendance is taken.

Another tactic more specifically targets each processing style. Offer analytics a couple of questions or problems based on the day’s work as a brainteaser. Have a brief conversation with the global learners where you provide the reason why this material is necessary.

Read More

Celebrations and Accomplishments

Professor Ernest Ialongo’s Book PresentationThe Artist and His Politics

The Center for Teaching and Learning hosts numerous events throughout the semester for faculty and staff. One of our most popular events last semester was Assistant Professor Ernest Ialongo’s book presentation of “Filippo Tommaso Marinetti: The Artist and His Politics”. The event was held at the beautiful Hostos Art Gallery in April alongside an intimate cocktail party. In attendance were over 60 faculty members, including Hostos Community College President David Gomez, and Provost Christine Mangino. The event garnered so much support that over 20 copies of Professor Ialongo’s book were sold. Since that event, CTL workshops and events have doubled, as well as our supporters. The Center for Teaching and Learning would like to thank Professor Ialongo for entrusting us with this event, and we thank you, our supporters, for your continued support. We hope to see you at our next event.

Fall 2015 Adjunct Faculty Open House

AF Open House_9-15_01CTL held a successful first Adjunct Faculty Open House on Wednesday, September 16, 2015. More than 50 adjunct faculty attended this event. We really enjoyed meeting all of you!

This event offered opportunities to meet colleagues from across disciplines and campus offices while learning more about a broad range of resources and services available.

View Event Slideshow

SPECIAL THANKS

The Writing Group

• Prof. Jacqueline DiSanto
• Prof. Anne Rounds
• Prof. Philip Wander

College Copy Center

• David Floyd
• Diann Beckett
• Mercedes Valdez

Newsletter Designers

• Rosanna Mane
• Lemar Francis
• Itzel Ortega
• Dontae Richardson
• Enmanuel Rosario

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?