1. Avatar
    Linda 2 years ago

Trying to write a “text” in Emoji sounds like a neat diversion. And I could see “reading” Emoji texts would be an interesting challenge. As someone who likes puzzles, this appeals to me. I wonder if it could be used in a classroom situation…

2. Avatar
    Elizabeth Porter 2 years ago

Thank you for this thought-provoking essay on the possibilities and limits of viewing Emoji as a language. To some degree, I find I use emojis more like punctuation marks. By inserting them at the conclusion of a sentence, I tend to use them to express excitement (like I would an exclamation point) or confusion (like I would a question mark).

As smartphone technology continues to advance, it’s interesting to consider how apps like Bitmoji or features like GIFs apply to or extend this conversation about Emoji and language.

3. Avatar
    Louis Bury 2 years ago

I really wish we had the option to use emojis in our replies here 🙂

Nice article! I wonder if the communicative ambiguity in emoji’s that Prof. Frenz-Belkin isn’t advantageous in many situations. I also wonder if it has poetic potential, such as a wordless poem comprised entirely of emojis.

4. Avatar
    Elizabeth Porter 2 years ago

I really like this consideration of the possibilities and limits of Emoji as a language form. It’s interesting to think about how smartphone apps such as Bitmoji or features like GIFs contribute to this discussion. It seems we always find newer and trendier ways to communicate on our devices. I appreciate your point that these options can “enrich written communication.”

5. Avatar
    Cynthia Jones 2 years ago

I was greatly impressed by the thoughtful exploration of the possibilities and limitations of the use of emojis. I, having taught ESL courses, see the possibilities of utilizing images; however, I also am aware of the possibilities for misunderstandings, which could in fact be opportunities for further learning. In learning English a particularly challenging unit is idiomatic expressions. Patricia points out that an emoji can mean different things across cultures. In these days of “cultural competency” she gives us much to consider.

6. Avatar
    Joseph Caravalho 2 years ago

Interesting article! I like to use emojis as a way of making something more playful or less intimidating but I would be cautious about using them with students because like the article says, the meaning is often left to individual interpretation. I wouldn’t want to misuse an emoji that has a different interpretation across different cultures or age groups.