1. Avatar
    Van 1 year ago

I find it interesting that the Prof Miles was the one that informed Prof. Church of the issues the student were facing in tackling this project. That they were so lost that they couldnt articulate their problems is a scary thought. It was great that our faculty were able to identify the problem and then set forth to help the students overcome their challenges.

2. Avatar
    stacey cooper 1 year ago

Hi Linda and Sarah,

I read your article and found it very enlightening. Your focus on critical reading is really applicable to our student needs and your method of addressing this issue is quite innovative. I do agree with your argument that critical thinking skills are those that are garnered over the learning experience in sometimes non-obvious ways, and your approach does well to make them obvious. I think the Lib guide can be useful in different subject areas. I myself use some features in my own research based courses, but I do think creating a Lib guide resource could be more useful for students to access. Looking at the resource, I particularly like the layout of the assignment, the critical reading prompts, the turning point exercise and evaluation rubric. I find that students need to know how any work is being evaluated. Thanks for the great ideas!

• Avatar
      Linda Miles 1 year ago

Thanks, Stacey! I’d be happy to work with you to configure a LibGuide for your course. Let’s talk…
      Linda

3. Avatar
    Joseph Caravalho 1 year ago

The librarians here are such a good resource for our students. I think students are sometimes intimidated and don’t want to let their professor or classmates know that they don’t understand a concept or assignment in class.

4. Avatar
    Elizabeth Porter 1 year ago

Thank you to Prof. Miles and Prof. Church for sharing your experiences. I too have been finding it necessary to add further scaffolding to my assignments. It sometimes feels more intuitive to address writing skills because the writing process is more visible than the reading process. The WAC philosophy is so helpful because it integrates reading and writing. In addition to assigning more low-stakes writing in the classroom to help students process their reading, I am spending more time explaining annotation skills.

I thank you for your reflections, and I look forward to adapting the online guide that Prof. Miles created.

• Avatar
      Linda Miles 1 year ago

Hi, Elizabeth. It’s so nice to hear enthusiasm for how the online LibGuide supports students work. Let me know if you’d like to discuss using the LibGuides platform for your course.
      Linda

5. Avatar
    Louis Bury 1 year ago

Nice article, Linda and Sarah!

At the risk of sounding like a library PSA, librarians are a good resource not only for students but also for faculty. So much of how I teach research in my own classes is adapted from lessons and concepts I’ve learned from having librarians visit my classes over the years.

6. Avatar
    Rayola Chelladurai 1 year ago

Thank you for the article and for your insight. Students are often running in and out classes and sometimes don’t have the time to seek help from the professor or as mentioned before,they might feel embarrassed to ask for help. I am so grateful for the resources the library provides to both faculty and students. Prof Miles and Prof Church were able to uncover that students are not prepared or not as prepared as we thought they would be. This is true for research papers and true with regards to just being a student. I have learned that I can not assume students know what I am speaking about, but I have to break information down to simpler terms or just stop to make sure that we are all on the same page. This article is reassuring because now I know students need extra support not just in Allied Health programs but in and around them as well. Thank you.