A Special Thank You!

by Zvi Ostrin
Natural Sciences and Earth Day Committee Co-chair

Along with my co-chair, Prof. Allison Franzese, I would like to thank everyone who helped make this year’s Natural Sciences Department celebration of Earth Day 2015 a great success.

By my estimate, a record-breaking 1,000 Hostos students, faculty, and staff attended some 32 events all over the college—25 course-oriented events in classrooms and on the Bridge, the keynote address on lead poisoning by Prof. Markowitz as well as 2 additional invited lectures, 3 panel discussions, and a video showing—and we would also have had a nature walk in Franz Sigel Park if it hadn’t rained!

Of course our own Natural Sciences faculty and staff deserve a great deal of credit for their efforts and participation in most of the events along with their classes. But I would also like to credit the active participation of the General Education Committee, chaired by Prof. Cynthia Jones, for broadening the impact of the event within the Hostos community. I would also like to thank three members of the committee, Prof. Clara Nieto-Wire, from Mathematics, and Andrew Lucchesi and Darren Kwong, the QR Fellows, for organizing two hugely successful panel discussions in the Savoy Multipurpose Room, which inspired me to organize a third panel discussion. Thus our Earth Day activities filled the Savoy Multipurpose Room for an entire day!

I hope that this success will inspire us, on future Earth Days, to even greater success in spreading the environmental message.

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?