- Search for books, e-books, and DVDs in either our traditional online catalog or the new OneSearch.
- Find articles in the library’s databases of online journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- Get ideas and research advice from our research and subject guides.
- Sign up for a library workshop.
- Keep up with what’s new in the library! Follow us on twitter, and read our blog.
Starting this month, Hostos Library offers a new streaming media service. Media Education Foundation produces and distributes films that “inspire critical thinking about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media.” Click here for a complete list of titles.
Don’t forget to check out our other streaming media services:
Earth Day is being celebrated this week (April 21-23) at Hostos with a series of special events!
Find out more on our Earth Day guide, which includes many ideas about learning more about topics such as:
GMOs (genetically modified organisms)
National and international laws and treaties about the environment
Activism and local groups in the South Bronx and NYC fighting for environmental justice
Please take a moment to let us know how we’re doing. Earn 500 Rewards Points for completing our survey. For every 1000 points you earn, you get an entry to win prizes, which will be given away at our annual sweepstakes party (Thursday May 14th @ 3:30 PM—at the GYM). Visit the Rewards Points website- https://edtech.hostos.cuny.edu/rewardpoints/ to see how many points you already have, and for other ways to earn points.
FREE digital subscriptions to the New York Times are still available for all CUNY students, faculty, and staff!
Sign up or renew your subscription using your Hostos email.
- Go to nytimes.com/passes.
- Click on “register”–make sure to use your Hostos email address as the email.
- Click on “create my account” after you’ve filled out your information.
- You’re not done yet! On the next page, click on “continue”, in order to get an email confirmation sent to your Hostos email.
- Check your Hostos email for the confirmation message – it should arrive within 15 minutes. If you don’t see it in your inbox, check your spam folder. If you still do not receive it, send a message from your Hostos email to email@example.com.
- Click on the link in the confirmation email to activate your subscription.
- Once you have created an account, always use your Hostos email address to log in to www.nytimes.com
You can use your digital subscription from any computer, or on a smartphone app that can be downloaded from nytimes.com/mobile. We don’t have access to the tablet apps, but you can still read it on your tablet by using any internet browser.
If you’re looking for older articles, please note that this subscription will only let you download five articles/year published between 1923-1980. The good news is that you can use the New York Times Historical Database – this is a resource that Hostos Library already subscribes to. From here, you can access an unlimited number of older NYT articles published between 1851 and five years ago (so, this year that means 1851-2009).
Create an account with BoardVitals using your Hostos email to access 3000 PN and RN NCLEX practice questions.
For more online and print resources to study for the NCLEX RN & PN at Hostos Library, check out the NCLEX section of the Library’s Nursing Research Guide.
Apply to participate in the first Spring Break Bootcamp. Develop your leadership skills, gain valuable technology skills and win fabulous prizes! Visit the website- http://commons.hostos.cuny.edu/techleaders/
A long standing tradition at Hostos, the African-American Read-in will be led by New York State Professor of the Year Cynthia Jones on February 25, 2015 at 9:30am in the Savoy Multipurpose Room.
All Readers are Welcome
If you would like to read, contact:
Professor Cynthia Jones
Not sure what to read? Ask a librarian for help!
For a limited time, Hostos Community College has access to a free trial of BoardVitals from STAT!Ref. BoardVitals is a NCLEX RN and PN exam review tool through February 18, 2015. For more information, and to register for the free trial with your Hostos email address, click here.
Your feedback is important! Let a reference librarian know what you think or contact Prof. Lisa Tappeiner, the Allied Health Liaison Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org
Since the release of the rulings in the Eric Garner and Mike Brown cases, many Hostos students have expressed the need for a communication outlet for justice.
The Black Studies Unit and the Media Design Programs of Hostos Community College have created a platform for expression called Hostos Hands Up. We are scholar activists acting in the tradition of W.E.B. DuBois and Eugenio Maria de Hostos.
If you are interested in our cause, here are some ways to get involved:
1.) Join us on Saturday, December 13th for the Millions March NYC. Meet us at West 4th subway stop at 1:15pm.
2.) Go to hostoshandsup.org. You can support us by sponsoring a pair of hands for $5 (materials to make signs for 2 students).
3.) Make signs with us in C-150 (art room) on Wednesday, December 10th from 10am-2pm
Anamaria Flores, Ana Ozuna, Rocio Rayo, Steven Rice, Sarah Sandman, Cheryl Williams and Weldon Williams