Teams Feedback

Fall 2016 Faculty Feedback

• Prof. Denise Cummings-Clay:

“This document has been written to report on my professional development experience of learning how to use an iPad as an instructional tool in the classroom. My participation in the Hostos Community College Educational Technology (EdTech) iPad Initiative has provided me with the necessary skills to teach students majoring in Early Childhood Education and enrolled in my Language Arts for Young Children course to be offered next spring on a variety of software to be used on the iPad in teaching language arts topics to children in Kindergarten through 5th grade classrooms…..”

read more

• Prof. Carol Huie:

“These four months I had the chance to research apps for my Business Communication (BUS 203) class. My goal for working with the iPads in my class is to enhance my teaching method and make the learning experience more interesting and effective…..”

read more

• Prof. Minerva Santos:

“My classroom goals for working with iPads are to provide a more interactive experience for students and to incorporate other modalities as a way to give students a variety of ways of learning……”

read more

Fall 2013 Teams Feedback

• Team 1:

“The apps we identified fall into three broad categories: clinically oriented nursing, and study productivity, and information resources. Our criteria for selecting apps were the following:• Price: we preferred free or extremely low cost apps. (The Davis Mobile NCLEX at $15.99 is less expensive than a print book.) • Needs of Hostos nursing students: Although there are many clinically-oriented apps of high quality, many extend beyond the scope of the Hostos nursing programs. We focused on apps that were most relevant to Hostos students. • Quality of information: for the information resources (health news, Twitter feeds), we chose reputable, mainly non-commercial sources such as the Centers for Disease Control. • Ease of use: was the app intuitively designed, would students be able use add and manipulate information easily?  Clinically-oriented nursing apps:  Almost all nursing apps came with a free version with more limited content, and a paid version. We focused on the free version or apps with prices within reach of Hostos students… Well known apps like Dropbox are an easy way to view and modify documents across devices. Flashcard apps, such as Studyblue and Evernote Peek help nursing students who must memorize large amounts of information for their standardized exams.  We identified several apps that contain high quality, up to date health news and information, such as the Mayo Clinic app for patient information, the Centers for Disease Control, and Medline Unbound, and app that enables searches to discover articles from the world’s largest medical and scientific database…”

read more

• Team 3:

“we mostly used the iPad as a reference tool inside and outside of the classroom. This has proven to be quite helpful; for example, in an ESL 16 class, the students were reading a difficult-to-imagine description of the architecture of the main branch of the public library in Chicago. By providing images of the building, students could easily understand the highly abstract description…  As a research tool Wikinodes offers a perfect “stepping stone” in the research process to better understand the material in a visually organized and broad interconnected style. Additionally, it allows the user to organize, save and store information in various ways. Google Earth helps students to put places that they are reading about “on the map.” Different news programs such as CNN and BBC can provide very different perspectives on the same event, which supports students’ critical thinking…  We enjoyed using the  iPad because we had so much information literally at our fingertips and were able to answer even the  most obscure questions that students asked…”

read more

• Team 4:

“As participants of the Fall 2013 i-Pad Initiative at Hostos Community College (HCC), our purpose was to work collaboratively  using iPads to search for the best dental applications (apps) that support teaching and learning in order to promote creative and critical thinking. It is without any doubt that advances in technology have changed the world and the way teaching is being implemented. For instance, computers, i-Pads and internet access have allowed for immediate and convenient access to all type of data including educational information. Incorporating these devices as adjunctive tools to reinforce teaching and learning will definitely help to create creative and critical thinkers.  In fact, the basis for the iPad initiative at HCC is to contribute to the development and enforcement of critical thinking by using technology (apps) to support text book teaching materials, as well as allow students to explore additional materials and relevant topics in order to expand their knowledge base… Although there are numerous apps available to dental professionals and faculty, our favorites are: Dental iLibrary, Dental Education and Dental Implants (by Oral-B), Medscape, Dental Expert, Dental Products Report App, Straumann Dental Learning, Patient Education, Healthy Eating Healthy You, Anatomy & Physiology   and Real Tooth Morphology. Most of these apps are free and do not require log in information…”

read more

• Team 5:

“Let me say upfront that I do not think I used my ipad to its full potential.  I think that knowledge of the interface software to bring ipad content to the students would have helped me to use it better.  At our last meeting Kate introduced some of the programs she has experience with and I wish I had known of them a few months ago.  Had I searched more I might have found them on my own; still I think that a list of those programs would be helpful to the novice.”

read more

Spring 2013 Teams Feedback

• Team 3:

“The I-pad may be the first truly “personal computer.” Its beauty is its ability to give the user access to knowledge wherever the user happens to be. In part, this is because many applications have various levels of utility whether or not an internet connection is possible. It was with this in mind that we began the I-pad Pilot Project.As scholars, much of what we do for our students involves providing guidance on where they can access “scholarly” knowledge, a task made even more relevant in the face of the plethora of misinformation so easily available on the web…”

read more

• Team 7:

“Digital applications are very popular among young adults and college students. In todays world “there is an App for that”. There are numerous applications for IPad and smart phones that can help people with weigh control and fitness issues. This “apps” or applications can help people track food intake, exercise and physical activities, give nutritional information and advice, count calories, provided reminders for drinking water, eat fruits and vegetables, exercise and some help you to go grocery shopping and read labels. Many apps are free some required payment and many start free and later you need to pay for upgrades. In my experience the free versions are good enough…”

read more

• Team 9:

“… I found it useful to use the iPad in the classroom with an overhead projector. Very few students had their own iPad in class… I downloaded 8 Apps for Chemistry and 11 Apps for Physics… I encouraged the Physics technician to request an Ipad during the summer; so, he will test its effectiveness supplementing class lab experiences… Introducing iPads in Bio210 classroom was supported by the need of readily access to images and motion models. As all science courses General Biology is characterized by the abundance of complicated concepts that are difficult to grasp through regular lecture delivery…”

read more

Fall 2012 Teams Feedback

• Team 4:

“…We plan to use the iPad, since we are the only ones with one and are responsible for the safety of the device, as a demonstration model. Once they are available on a cart or stationed in the classroom, we plan to use them during group work, individual review or enrichment, and student-led presentations or discussions. The iPad will also be a valuable tool during student evaluations because it allows for a presentation to be recorded…”

read more

• Team 7:

“…Received our iPads last week and everyone seems excited. The primary concept here is to keep track of our students using the Bento software application.Synching between the desktop version and the iPads is a bit of an issue, however. We are working on this…”

read more

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?