Teaching Resources

Situating Yourself in the World  quotations from Americanah

“She rested her head against his and felt, for the first time, what she would often feel with him: a self-affection. He made her feel like herself.” — p. 73

” ‘It is a wise book. The human stories that matter are those that endure. The American books you read are light-weights. …This boy is too besotted with America.’

‘I read American books because America is the future.'” — p. 84

“…her relationship with him was like being content in a house but always sitting by the window looking out.” — p. 9

“She hungered to understand everything about America, to wear a new, knowing skin right away…” — p. 167

“And as she read, America’s mythologies began to take on meaning. America’s tribalisms — race, ideology, and region — became clear. And she was consoled by her new knowledge.”  — p. 167

“Nigeria became where she was supposed to be, the only place she could sink her roots in without the constant urge to tug them out and shake off the soil.” — p. 7

” ‘And there is a certain bombast in the way we speak that I had also forgotten. I started feeling truly at home again when I started feeling bombastic.’ ” — p. 531

Visit the Library’s Hostos Reads! guide for videos, articles and other teaching resources.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?