Waist Circumference

According to the National Institutes of Health, a high Waist Circumference (WC) is associated with an increased risk for type 2 diabetes, dyslipidemia, hypertension and cardiovascular disease when the BMI is between 25 and 34.9. A BMI greater than 25 is considered overweight and a BMI greater than 30 is considered obese. Waist Circumference can be useful for those people categorized as normal or overweight in terms of BMI. Abdominal or Central Obesity is defined as a waist circumference over 40 inches for a male and 35 inches for a female.

Waist circumference reflects the degree of visceral fat in proportion to body fat. Abdominal or Central Obesity may increase the risk of death from all causes as compared to fat accumulations elsewhere in the body. It increases the risk of diabetes, stroke, hypertension, coronary artery disease. Abdominal or Central Obesity is more common among men and postmenopausal women, (women in their reproductive years are more prone to carrying their fat around the hips and thighs). Smokers and Moderate-to-high alcohol intake correlates positively with central obesity and physical activity correlates negatively with central obesity.

For example, an athlete with increased muscle mass may have a BMI greater than 25 – making him or her overweight on the BMI scale – but a Waist Circumference measurement would most likely indicate that he or she is, in fact, not overweight.
Changes in Waist Circumference over time can indicated an increase or decrease in abdominal fat. Increased abdominal fat is associated with an increased risk of heart disease.

To determine your Waist Circumference, locate the upper hip bone and place a measuring tape around the abdomen (ensuring that the tape measure is horizontal). The tape measure should be snug but should not cause compressions on the skin.

Posted by Prof. Iris Mercado EdD, CDN

Please found and download the weight monitor chart in the link below

Worksheet 2 weight and circumferences monitor

1. Everyone loves what you guys are up too.
    This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the wonderful works
    guys I’ve you guys to my blogroll.

2. mramos 5 years ago

I just found out my BMI and now I know that both the BMI and WC go hand in hand. I am going to seek a nutritionist to help guide me on what I need to do and then hopefully I can do it on my own. I know that this is not going to be easy but I can’t imagine my life with health complications, all because I didn’t treat my body right. Thank you for this site.

3. Fiona McDonagh 5 years ago

This website informed me on how to measure waist circumference plus my BMI which I had no knowledge of prior to this, my BMI is 24 as I am 5′ 4 and 130 lbs. I am of normal weight but was also made aware of diets (mediterranean / dash diets) and physical activity that would help me maintain my weight , as I like most people enjoy saturated fatty foods, the website allowed me to get ideas as how to eliminate fatty foods with lower fat products and also informed me about the nutritious value of fresh fruits and vegetables.