To register for a workshop, please visit Faculty Workshops
- BlackboardBlackboard is the learning management system used by CUNY campuses. It is a tool that allows faculty to add resources for students to access online content. Topics in the Blackboard workshop include:
- Making a course available
- Uploading the course syllabus
- Creating assignments
- Using the discussion board
- Using Grade Center
- Preventing plagiarism with SafeAssign
- Conducting virtual meetings/video conferencing
- Smart ClassroomsSmart classrooms are those equipped with projectors, touch-screens, DVD and VCR players, high-resolution sound and audio/video recording capabilities.
- ePortfoliosePortfolios are a way for students to curate and showcase their best work. Create your own ePortfolio by visiting www.hostos.cuny.edu/eportfolios and using your Hostos credentials (email username and password) to log in.
- Hostos Social NetworkA social network is a way for people to be connected within a community. The Hostos Social Network serves the Hostos community, allowing faculty, students and staff to create blogs, join and participate in groups and connect with classmates and colleagues. More info: commons.hostos.cuny.edu.
- CUNYFirst CUNYFirst stands for CUNY Fully Integrated Resources and Services Tool. Topics in the workshop include using the Faculty Center; the Student Groups tool; Student Indicators; and using the query viewer to generate reports. For more information about CUNYFirst, visit www.hostos.cuny.edu/first
- Student WorkshopsEdTech offers customized course-related workshops for faculty who are introducing new technology to their students. To arrange for customized workshops for your course related needs, contact Iber Poma at 718-319-7971 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Students can also self-register for technology workshops by going to http://edtech.hostos.cuny.edu/Workshops/Home/Calendar?who=student.
The Online initiatives is a series of classes designed to introduce Hostos faculty to the tools, resources and strategies of teaching a hybrid course (33% - 67% online) and/or fully online classes (100% online). Reach out to the Coordinator of the Online Initiatives (Ext. 7969) if you are interested in developing a new hybrid or online course.
iPad Pilot Initiative
This initiative looks for ways to incorporate iPads into teaching and learning. Hostos launched its iPad Pilot Initiative in Fall 2012. Faculty members who were chosen to participate experimented with different apps that would enhance their classroom teaching.
Faculty Learning Commons
The Faculty Learning Commons is room C-559. The room has been equipped with new computers and media hardware. It is a lounge and workspace where faculty can meet, converse and access the latest technology to create and capture interactive lectures. Reserve it by visiting http://space.hostos.cuny.edu/
Tech Fee Budget
Each year, funds are collected from students for the express purpose of improving available technology at Hostos. A portion of these funds are allocated to EdTech for supporting educational technology in academic departments and in the EdTech office. To have a voice in the distribution of these funds, reach out to your department liaison to ETLC. Requested technology must be for student use or to benefit student learning. Deadlines to submit a request varies every Academic Year.
Through EdTech, faculty can reserve the following devices:
- Smart rooms