CUNY has officially announced the upgrade of Blackboard, our enterprise learning management system to its latest version (Blackboard 9.1). The transition is scheduled to take place for the Summer 2012 semester. A project team that includes representatives from various CUNY campuses as well as CIS IT and Blackboard staff is in place at CUNY CIS managing and guiding the transition process.
Our Edtech team members have received training in this latest version. This version offers some significant changes to the user experience and we are in the process of developing training and communications plans to prepare our Bb user community for the transition.
Bb 9.1’s toolkit is flexible and easy to use, and includes some exciting and powerful new features:
- a more efficient interface that cuts down on the number of clicks required to navigate or perform tasks
- the control panel now appears as a menu in a course section, bringing all the important tools “up front”
- a content management area, so that content can be easily shared across course sections by drag-and-drop, eliminating the need for course “shells” or course copying
- a rich media “mashup” making embedding of YouTube and other video from other sites easy
- an interactive Rubric tool for assessments
- Blackboard Collaborate, Blackboard’s built-in video conferencing feature
- and much more
Please contact your department EdTech liaison about how we can make your introduction to Blackboard 9.1, and visit the EdTech website at http://commons.hostos.cuny.edu for future announcements. You can get a head start on Bb 9.1 familiarization by using www.coursesites.com, Blackboard’ s learning management platform that allows you to create and build courses for free. Also visit https://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Learn/Products/Blackboard-Learn/Teaching-and-Learning/Feature-Showcase.aspx to learn about Bb 9.1 features.
Office of Educational Technology
Hostos Community College