Check out our Spring 2017 Newsletter!

In This Issue

• HOSTOS Social Network Launch
  • Innovation at HOSTOS
  • Teaching Tips
  • Agnes Beaumont: A Seventeenth-Century Story of Self, Suffering, and Spirituality
  • HOSTOS Reads Impact
  • Plickers Assessment Tool
  • Professional Development Day
  • Event Calendar
  • Conferences

CTL Mission

In keeping with Hostos tradition, the Center for Teaching and Learning promotes excellence in teaching and learning with innovative pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies by fostering interdisciplinary and cross-divisional collaborations.

Hostos Reads “Just Mercy”!

Faculty, staff, and students participated in the November 2016 launching of “Hostos Reads: Books in Common, Books in Community” by engaging in a discussion about their vision of a “just society.” Stevenson’s book is being read throughout our college and has generated mindful conversations led by faculty, staff, and students, film screenings with follow-up discussions, and student presentations. Read More

HOSTOS SOCIAL NETWORK LAUNCH!

The Office of Educational Technology has launched a new website, including a new look and feel for the EdTech Innovators Chase game. Faculty and staff can earn points and badges by participating in brown bag discussions, workshops and other events hosted and co-hosted with the EdTech Office and the Center of Teaching and Learning. And then, at the end of each semester, those with the most points are honored at EdTech’s Innovation Celebration.

Read More

“Agnes Beaumont: A Seventeenth-Century Story of Self, Suffering, and Spirituality”

ANDREA FABRIZIO
CHAIR OF ENGLISH DEPT.

Agnes Beaumont was a woman who lived in seventeenth-century England and who is worthy of an introduction to the modern reader. She is not nearly as well-known as Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters, but in the fall of 2015, while on sabbatical, I began to contribute to the case that she is significant in her own right through my scholarship. Beaumont wrote one major text in her life. It was aptly titled, The Narrative of the Persecutions of Agnes Beaumont. It was not a page turning novel, a insightful essay, or a lyrical poem. Rather, it belongs to a class of writing popular in seventeenth-century England called life writing or spiritual autobiography. I chose to take up Agnes Beaumont as the subject of my studies over the course of my sabbatical for several reasons, the first of which is that her story, while removed from us by centuries, is fascinating.

Read More

Plickers Assessment Tool: For Any Educational Environment

MICHAEL GOSSET
PHYSICAL EDUCATION UNIT COORDINATOR

Do you wish you had another means to receive formative feedback from students, increase student participation, and/or track student progress in your classes? You may be familiar with the Clickers response system, the electronic device you put in your hand, but you may not be familiar with Plickers. Plickers response system is similar to the Clickers response system in that a multiple choice (MC) or True/False (TF) question is asked, and the responders select +-an answer, while remaining anonymous to the class. The initiator, or instructor, however, does see individual answers.

I have been using Plickers for two years now at Hostos in my Physical Education classes. As is the case with any new pedagogical tool, it took me quite a while to become comfortable with, and then grow wise in its use, implementation, and practicality.

Read More

Teaching Essentials

Reflections upon teaching our students (and some tips!)

KATE WOLFE
     ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, BEHAVIORAL & SOCIAL SCIENCES

I have been fortunate enough to teach community college students for the past seventeen years. As I complete my fifth year as an Assistant Professor at Hostos Community College I would like to share my ideas about teaching and being the best faculty member I can be for our students. I have always been passionate about educating students not just about psychology, but about being a successful college student and using knowledge gained to navigate life. Every semester I ask myself how I can improve. Here are some of my thoughts on being an effective teacher.

Limit prejudgments: First, as a social psychologist, I try very hard to get to know my students and not prejudge them. As human beings we have a tendency to categorize others, which leads to stereotypical beliefs. Most people hold onto stereotypes tightly and only when we finally pay attention to stereotype-busting information, we still maintain them by seeing this individual as an exception which allows us to judge this person more accurately while holding onto the stereotypical belief.

Read More

INNOVATION AT HOSTOS!

The CTL and Ed-Tech team are exploring the impact of new technology such as virtual reality in education!

SPECIAL THANKS

Yeily Peña Vicente
Itzel Ortega Mendez
Jacqueline DiSanto
Lemar Francis
Duplicating Center: Mercedes Valdez, Diann Beckett and David Floyd

• CTL Publications

• Stay Connected

• Upcoming Calendar Events

• Contact Us

• Center for Teaching and Learning

Hostos Community College, CUNY
      500 Grand Concourse
      Bronx, New York 10451

Directors:
      Mr. Carlos Guevara &
      Prof. Cynthia Jones
      Coordinator: Ms. Luz Rivera
      Email: CTL@hostos.cuny.edu
      Phone: 718-518-6611
      Room: B-418