NEWSLETTER_FALL_2017_cover_650x350

In This Issue

• Adjunct Open House
  • New initiatives
  • Teaching Tips
  • Approach to Training
  • HOSTOS Reads
  • Health TIPS
  • Professional Development Day
  • Event Calendar
  • Conferences
  • Sabbatical Experience
  • SPA DAY 2017
  • HOSTOS Teaching Institute Workshops
  • Meet our CTL Staff!

CTL Mission

In keeping with Hostos tradition, the Center for Teaching and Learning promotes excellence in teaching and learning with innovative pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies by fostering interdisciplinary and cross-divisional collaborations.

Adjunct Open House!

Active and Passionate Conversations

Faculty, staff, and students participated in the November 2016 launching of “Hostos Reads: Books in Common, Books in Community” by engaging in a discussion about their vision of a “just society.” Stevenson’s book is being read throughout our college and has generated mindful conversations led by faculty, staff, and students, film screenings with follow-up discussions, and student presentations. Read More

SPA DAY 2017!

Nine hours after grades were due for the spring semester, almost 100 faculty members attended our seventh annual Spa Day, a professional development day endearingly named to represent a mental retreat for busy academic minds. Each year Spa Day has been a great success, largely due to the quality of presentations and the interest of the participants. The day provides Hostos faculty the opportunity to see what colleagues in other departments are doing, learn new teaching strategies, and discover new programs.

Read More

Approach to Training

Prof. Pujol

Merce Pujol
Language & Cognition

In the last 20 years, research on neurolinguistics and bilingualism has demonstrated that exposure to two or more languages on a regular basis shapes individuals’ brain function and brain structure in ways that are different from those of monolinguals’. Bilingual exposure enhances individuals’ brain plasticity and flexibility at higher levels than monolingual exposure; it also confers other benefits on the individuals.

What do monolinguals and bilinguals do similarly? Both groups mainly process language in the left hemisphere of the brain. Thus, linguistic information enters the brain circuitry through the auditory cortex in the temporal lobe when they listen. Wernicke’s area (BA39 and BA40) in the temporal lobe and Broca’s area (BA44 and BA45) in the frontal lobe are considered the classic language areas of the brain. These areas are inter-connected via various pathways and are both activated for speech comprehension and production.

Read More

Health Tips

IRIS MERCADO
EDUCATION

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines provides guidance and recommendations to help Americans make healthy choices in the areas of nutrition focused on preventing diet-related chronic diseases. However, culturally relevant recommendations specific to Latino health and nutritional habits are often lacking. About half of all American adults have one or more preventable, diet-related chronic diseases, including cardiovascular disease, Type-2 diabetes, and obesity. Latinos in the US experience higher rates of these conditions compared to non-Hispanic whites.

In 2015, 18 percent of the U.S. population was of Latino/a origin; making it the nation’s largest and fastest growing minority group and it is predicted to rise to 30 percent by 2050. Among them, 63 percent were Mexican Americans; 16 percent from the Caribbean, 5.6 percent South American and 8.5 percent were non-Mexicans from Central America (1,2).

Read More

Sabbatical Experience

A Change of Scene

DAVID K. WEISER
     ENGLISH

I am grateful to Professor Greg Marks, Chair of the English Department, for pointing out that I was eligible for a fellowship leave / sabbatical. The idea that I could apply successfully for such an honor had never occurred me. To my surprise though, after more than twenty years of continuous teaching, summers included, I was able to return to full-time literary research. The primary goal was to continue some ideas from my book on Shakespeare’s Sonnets, but also to explore my growing interest in American poetry of the 20th century.

Fortunately, I was able to spend my sabbatical, the summer and fall of 2015, in Israel, “the start-up nation,” and to enjoy its unique blend of creativity and tradition. I worked at the libraries of Tel -Aviv and Bar- Ilan Universities. At the latter I had access to a separate research library devoted to English and American literature. There I also benefited from talks with my friend and mentor, Murray Roston, Professor Emeritus at Bar-Ilan and UCLA. On the other hand, many of my former colleagues had passed away, among them Dorothea Krook, who mentored Sylvia Plath at Cambridge; Alex Aronson, who worked with Rabindranath Tagore in India, and Allan Bloom, author of The Closing of the American Mind (1987).

Read More

TEACHING DAY AT HOSTOS!

On a bright afternoon recently, in the Atrium, faculty, students and administrators celebrated Hostos Teaching Day. The purpose of gathering, and for creating the posters which decorated the space, was to reflect on the practices and strategies that enhance student learning here at Eugenio Maria de Hostos Community College.

SPECIAL THANKS

Yeily Peña Vicente
Itzel Ortega Mendez
Jacqueline DiSanto
Duplicating Center: Mercedes Valdez, Diann Beckett and David Floyd

• CTL Publications

• Stay Connected

• Upcoming Calendar Events

• Contact Us

• Center for Teaching and Learning

Hostos Community College, CUNY
      500 Grand Concourse
      Bronx, New York 10451

Directors:
      Mr. Carlos Guevara &
      Prof. Cynthia Jones
      Coordinator: Ms. Luz Rivera
      Email: CTL@hostos.cuny.edu
      Phone: 718-518-6804
      Room: B-418