CTL Newsletter v.6 – Spring 2018

CTL Poster
In this Issue

CTL Mission
The Center for Teaching and Learning promotes excellence in teaching and learning at all levels. The Center seeks to enhance Hostos’ multicultural and multi-lingual learning environments with innovative teaching pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies. The Center supports faculty, staff, and student achievements inside and outside of the classroom and encourages the growth of interdisciplinary and cross-Read More

Changing the mindset for enhanced pedagogy

Linda Ridley Lecturer Business Academic Department

Linda RidleyAs a global consultant focusing on change management within organizations, over the past decade I have adapted my thirst for problem solving to the field of education. This provided an exciting trajectory as I transitioned my significant expertise in organizational development into the field of education. In 2015, I won a competition to become a First Time Case Writer with The Case Centre, based at Cranfield University in the United Kingdom. Chosen as only one of 18 professors worldwide (just three in the United States), this was an affirmation of my efforts to integrate business practices… Read More

Hostos Reads – Americanah
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

americanahFor many years, Professor Robert Cohen of the Department of Language and Cognition coordinated the popular and successful book of the semester program. Under his leadership, the Hostos community read and discussed books together in a range of genres and on subjects as diverse as mental illness, scientific inventions and family relationships. Last year, the Center for Teaching and Learning re-launched the book of the semester as a yearlong common read, Hostos Reads: Books in Common, Books in Community with Just Mercy a non-fiction work about the injustices of the criminal justice system by acclaimed author and founder of the Equal Justice Initiative, Bryan Stevenson…. Read More

Looking for General Education in a New Global Space of Education
Karin Lundberg Associate Professor Language and Cognition Department

karin L.When I first sat down to write this piece, Talking Heads’ question involuntarily surfaced: “How did I get here?” And I felt the urge to pursue the line further. What is the “Once in a Lifetime”-song really about? I went on a search and found more than I had expected: “We’re largely unconscious. You know, we operate half-awake, or on autopilot and end up, whatever, with a house and family and job and everything else. We haven’t really stopped to ask ourselves, “How did I get here?” (David Byrne, NPR March 27, 2000.) Reflecting on my journey as an educator in a rich, global context where language and communication are at the center of my daily pedagogical “chores”, I walk back and trace the knots that have come to form the intricate web… Read More

Variations in an Emergency
Anne Lovering Rounds Assistant Professor English Department

LoveringHostos English Department faculty member Anne Lovering Rounds had her first book, Variations in an Emergency, published at the end of 2016. Praised by literary critics and musicians alike, the work is a collection of poems about the way longing and loss recur. The book’s 32 poems resonate with literary and musical references, and the book is inspired by the structure of Baroque composer J. S. Bach’s Goldberg Variations for keyboard, in which an aria is the theme for 30 subsequent variations and then returns to end the set. Thus the book opens with a poem called “Aria,” which contains the subjects of the other poems in the collection. When the theme returns at the end of the Goldberg Variations, the experience is one of closure and instability: something… Read More

Seen The Unseen
Mohammad Sohel Associate Professor Natural Sciences Dept.

SohelI have joined in the Natural Sciences Department in 2007 as an Assistant Professor. Like many of us at Hostos Community College, in addition to our significant teaching loads, service and student mentorship, we are expected to carry on our research and contribute significantly to our professional field through research and publication. My educational background and professional training is in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology which is the study, manipulation and application of extremely small things of matter on an atomic, molecular level that are less than 100 nanometer in size. Do you know- 25,400,000 nanometers in one inch. A human hair… Read More

PDF Spring 2018
  • CTL Publications

• Stay Connected

• Upcoming Calendar Events

• Contact Us

• Center for Teaching and Learning

Hostos Community College, CUNY
      500 Grand Concourse
      Bronx, New York 10451

Directors:
      Mr. Carlos Guevara &
      Prof. Cynthia Jones
      Coordinator: Ms. Luz Rivera
      Email: CTL@hostos.cuny.edu
      Phone: 718-518-6804
      Room: B-418