CTL Newsletter v.2 – Spring 2016

S16 Newsletter header_version 2

In This Issue

• Approach to Training: How Are You?
  • Learning from Our Elders: Students, Senior Citizens, and Service-Learning
  • The Box of Surprises: A Simple Tool for Formative Assessment
  • An Inquiry Through Race and American Literature
  • Teaching with Technology

CTL Mission

The Center for Teaching and Learning promotes excellence in teaching and learning at all levels. The Center seeks to enhance Hostos’ multicultural and multi-lingual learning environments with innovative teaching pedagogies and state-of-the-art technologies. The Center supports faculty, staff, and student achievements inside and outside of the classroom and encourages the growth of interdisciplinary and cross-divisional collaborations and partnerships.

Prof. Sherese MitchellApproach to Training: How Are You?

SHERESE MITCHELL
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
EDUCATION DEPT

I can recall teaching at an elementary school several years ago. The principal was deliberate in scanning children up and down with her eyes and asking, “How are you?” I thought that was very considerate that an administrator would take the time to wonder how the students were doing daily. As the school days went on, I found myself feeling a little down one morning. After preparing my classroom for the day’s activities, I decided to take a walk down the hallway. Walking aimlessly up and down the hallway usually returned me into happy-teacher mode. It was in the hallway that I met my supervisor—the principal of the school—the same inquisitive principal. She stopped me and asked, “How are you today?” (as she scanned me up and down). Remembering how sincere I found her to be with the children, I responded honestly. “I am not doing too well today”, I sighed. She responded, “that’s great” and continued walking down the hallway. I recall this event to this day. I felt very uncomfortable in the false-sense of concern she expressed. From that day moving forward, I made a point to “scan” my students to check in with them.

Read More

Learning from Our Elders: Students, Senior Citizens, and Service-Learning

Prof. Sarah HoilandSARAH HOILAND
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
BEHAVIORAL & SOCIAL SCIENCES DEPT.

John Dewey and Paulo Freire wrote eloquently, nearly one hundred years apart, about experiential learning by describing the lifelong process of education (Dewey 1897) and the reflection and action that is inherent in dialogue (Faundez & Freire 1992). For Dewey and Freire, experiential learning is liberating and contributes to the health of democracy.

S16 Newsletter_Hoiland article photo

In SOC 101, the goal is to help students better understand the world around them and to provide them with a language to describe their everyday worlds.

Read More

The Box of Surprises: A Simple Tool for Formative Assessment

Nunez RodriguezNELSON NUNEZ-RODRIGUEZ
ASSOCIATE
PROFESSOR
NATURAL SCIENCES DEPT

I usually start my class sessions by asking students to pick up a paper with a question from a simple box or basket. Students do not know if the question is the same one for the whole class or not. Students do not know if the question is from a content previously discussed or a content to be discussed in this session. Students do not know if the question will be returned to the instructor after 3-5 minutes and contribute with a point for the next exam (if the answer is correct) or the question(s) will not be returned and will just be used to start discussing session topics. Instructor announces question’s fate after the 3-5 minute period to answer it. Only students who arrive on time can return the question to the professor if this applies. Latecomers can pick up a question but cannot return it to the professor if the question falls into the returning category.

Read More

PEDAGOGICAL TIPS

An Inquiry Through Race and American Literature

CYNTHIA JONES
LECTURER
ENGLISH  DEPT.

In the past Cynthia Jones was engaged in collaborating and crafting professional development workshops at the American Social History Project-Center for Media and Learning (CUNY). The following activity was designed to begin an exploration of race through literary texts.

CONTEXT
Diverse literary texts provide opportunities for making connections xn race and hearing multiple voices and perspectives.

OBJECTIVES/ASSESSMENT
Students will:
• Read and interpret texts in a variety of genres (poetry, novel, essay, interview, speech) by drawing on their experience and their interactions with other readers.
• Develop an understanding of and respect for diversity in language use, patterns, and dialects across cultures, ethnic groups, geographic regions, and social roles.
• Examine the contributions of writers. Read More

Prof. LyonsTeaching with Technology: Results from the December 2015 Faculty Survey

KATE LYONS
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
LIBRARY

In December 2015 the Office of Educational Technology with the EdTech Leadership Council emailed all faculty a link to a survey about their experiences teaching with technology. 114 faculty members responded to the survey.

73% identified themselves as full time faculty and twenty-seven percent identified as adjunct faculty. The majority (over 80%) had been teaching at Hostos for 6 or more semesters and the majority were in professorial titles (17% Professor, 17% Associate Professor and 36% Assistant Professor).

More than 75% of the respondents had experience adding a Blackboard component to their courses. This approximately aligns with the EdTech Office’s experience that approximately 60% of faculty activate the Blackboard sites associated with their courses, each semester.

Read More

SPECIAL THANKS

Professor Jacqueline DiSanto and the Hostos Writing Group
College Copy Center:
David Floyd
Diann Beckett
Mercedes Valdez
Newsletter Designers:Enmanuel Rosario
Lemar Francis
Dominique Coston
Itzel Ortega
  • CTL Publications

• Stay Connected

• Upcoming Calendar Events

• Contact Us

• Center for Teaching and Learning

Hostos Community College, CUNY
      500 Grand Concourse
      Bronx, New York 10451

Directors:
      Mr. Carlos Guevara &
      Prof. Cynthia Jones
      Coordinator: Ms. Luz Rivera
      Email: CTL@hostos.cuny.edu
      Phone: 718-518-6611
      Room: B-418