Meet Our New Co-Director! Prof. Cynthia Jones, M.A.

Meet Our Co-Director! Prof. Cynthia Jones, M.A.

VISION 2016 – 2017

Prof. Jones

It must be borne in mind that the tragedy in life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal.
 The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.
 It isn’t a calamity to die with dreams unfulfilled, but it is a calamity not to dream.

It is not a disaster to be unable to capture your ideal, but it is a disaster to have no ideal to capture.
 It is not a disgrace not to reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to reach for.

Not failure, but low aim is sin.”—Benjamin Mays

Many summers ago, I sat next to Magda Vasillov in an NEH Institute
designed by the American Social History Project (ASHP); it was a month-long journey of navigating the Web and incorporating the tools of technology in the curriculum. Magda patiently mentored me as we considered the integration of technology in my developmental reading and writing courses and her Arts and Civilization course; we were two of the professors within a program block.

At a recent AAC&U conference, Christy Price of Dalton State College presented “The 5 ‘R’s’ for Engaging Millennial or ‘Modern’ Learners,” which she outlined as research-based methods and pedagogy, relevance, rationale, relaxed, and rapport. According to Price, our teaching should be “active pedagogies of engagement.”

As I have crafted the curricula for my courses over the years, I always hold dear to my heart particular people and experiences such as Magda as we co-taught; America Trinidad as we co-directed an Honors Institute; attendance at Bard’s Institute for Writing and Thinking with Evelyn Silverman, Heather Rosario-Sievert, and Kathleen Kane; participation at AAC&U conferences; and facilitation leader at ASHP. My many years of collaboration have informed the way I teach AND learn.

So what is my vision as co-director of the Center for Teaching and Learning? It is a dream that I hope will not be deferred. It is a dream that during the upcoming 2016 – 2017 academic year, we will be actively engaged in collaborating to plan and implement activities that will incorporate our optimal selves toward an excellent education for all – students, faculty and staff.